The 8 Best Mini Drones for Kids
Nano drones despite their size can offer a huge array of fun features, especially for kids. In fact, mini-drones can sometimes be more fun for kids in the sense that they pack all the fun in a tiny portable and easily-packable size.
In this article, we’ve reviewed the 8 best mini-drones for kids – some of which include built-in cameras, have LED light, and can do stunts, tricks, and much more.
Also note that because of how small and lightweight these drones are, you will not need to register your drones with the FAA before flying it outdoors.
Potensic Upgraded A20 Mini Drone Easy to Fly Even to Kids and Beginners, RC Helicopter Quadcopter with Auto Hovering, Headless Mode, Extra Batteries and Remote Control-Green
The upgraded Potensic mini drone and is smaller than 1.4 cubic inches which perhaps makes it the tiniest on the list. However, it packs a few of the most sought after features by beginners in drones.
It can fly at different speeds and feature headless mode and an altitude hold feature, all which make this drone very easy to be controlled through its remote control by any-level drone pilots. Making it even easier for your kid, it includes a one-key take-off and landing to simplify starting and stopping the drone, in addition to an emergency stop button that allows the drone to safely land immediately if anything goes out of control.
It can fly up to 6 minutes per battery and has a low battery alarm that notifies you when the power is running low so that your drone doesn’t crash due to power run-out.
- The drone comes with two batteries, prolonging flight time to 12 minutes per charge
- The compactness of this drones allows it to be tucked into your pocket for ultimate portability
- Due to the drones extremely small size, and absence of built-in lights, it can be easily lost if you’re not being attentive
K5 Mini Nano Drone with Altitude Hold and Headless Mode RC Quadcopter with 3D Flips and High Speed Spin Function, Portable Pocket Drone for Kids & Beginners
Hasakee’s K5 weighs a fraction more that Potensic’s drone at only 7.2 ounces, however, it’s still incredibly compact. In fact, it’s so compact that it can be stored within its own controller case.
The controller of this drone is also very simplified, featuring headless mode and an altitude hold feature. In addition to in-air ease of control, the controller also features one-key take-off and landing and one-key return home buttons, as well as a one-key flip and spin button, simplifying almost all controls of this drone to a single push of a button.
The K5 can fly up to 50 meters away from its transmitter and spend an average of 7 minutes in the air. The drone comes with a built-in charger that allows you to charge it by placing it over the controller.
- Extremely simple controls make it suitable for all ages and all experiences
- The drone can perform 360-degree flips and spins with a push of a button
- The drone misses LED lights which may affect the user’s visibility during night time while the drone performs stunts
Holy Stone HS170 Predator Mini RC Helicopter Drone 2.4Ghz 6-Axis Gyro 4 Channels Quadcopter Good Choice for Drone Training
Holy Stone sure does produce a wide array of drones that fit all different users; this one in specific fits both kids and adults. The HS170 comes with a powerful motor making it resistant to winds and allowing you to fly it outdoors with ease under non-extreme weather conditions.
The drone has a 6-axis gyro that stabilizes it during flight and features headless mode for beginner users. The controller also features an anti-interference transmitter that blocks out other frequencies that may affect your control over the drone.
You can fly the HS170 as far as 50 meters away from its transmitter and for up to 8 minutes before needing to recharge its batteries. The drone also includes LED lights that make it more visible during night time.
- The controller has an anti-interference transmitter
- The drone is built to resist slight winds
- Because of its powerful motor, the drone tends to heat up and is advised to rest 10 minutes in between flights
Holy Stone HS160 Shadow FPV RC Drone with 720P HD Wi-Fi Camera Live Video Feed 2.4GHz 6-Axis Gyro Quadcopter for Kids & Beginners – Altitude Hold, One Key Start, Foldable Arms, Bonus Battery
This foldable drone from Holy Stone comes with a built-in camera that captures both photos and videos in flight. Although it carries a camera and features LED lights, it weighs only 3 ounces.
it can be controlled through its smartphone app and features gravity mode that allows the drone to mimic the movement of your phone. You can fly it at 4 different speeds according to your level. To make things easy, it also features one-key take-off and landing as well as an altitude-hold feature and like all Holy Stone models, has a built-in 6-axis gyro for stability.
It can fly for up to 9 minutes and as far as 70 meters away from its transmitter.
- Like the Potensic model, the HS160 comes with a second battery that doubles flight time to 18 minutes before needing to recharge
- The drone’s camera is compatible with VR headsets
- Unlike the other HS170, this model is not wind-resistant is advised to only fly during clear weather
Rabing Mini Foldable RC Drone FPV VR WiFi RC Quadcopter Remote Control Drone with HD 720P Camera RC Helicopter
This foldable model from Rabing is second in size to Potensic’s model being just under 2 cubic inches. It’s packed, however, with several features, like a built-in camera for instance.
Like the K5, the Rabing mini drone is very simple to fly. It can be controlled through its smartphone app and features a one-key return-home button in addition to a one-key 360-degree flips feature. It can be flown at 3 different speeds and features headless mode to make things easier for beginners.
The drone is also powered by a 6-axis gyro for smooth flights and footage and can fly for up to 10 minutes before needing to recharge.
- This drone has the furthest transmission range at an impressive 100 meters
- Like the HS160, the drone’s camera is compatible with VR headsets
- The battery life is affected by the use of the camera
HASAKEE H1 FPV RC Drone with HD Live Video WiFi Camera and Headless Mode 2.4GHz 6-Axis Gyro Quadcopter with Altitude Hold, One-Button Take Off/Landing, Good for Beginners
The Hasakee H1 features a built-in camera with FPV through a smartphone. It also has a 6-axis gyro for stable flights and footage and has an altitude-hold feature to simplify things.
It can fly up to 8 minutes in the air before recharging and can do 360-degree flips with a push of a button. It also features 3 different speeds for different level users and a one-key take-off and landing feature as well as a one-key return-home feature for a hassle-free flight from beginning to end.
The H1 can fly as far as 50 meters away from its transmitter.
- The FPV (first person view) allows the user to observe the live camera view
- The built-in camera is not made to capture high-quality footage at only 0.3 megapixels
TOZO Q2020 Drone RC Mini Quadcopter Altitude Hold Height Headless RTF 3D 6-Axis Gyro 4CH 2.4Ghz Helicopter Steady Super Easy Fly for Training [Black]
The Q2020 also comes with ease-bringing features for kid pilots. In addition to having LED lights that increase night visibility, the Tozo drone comes with an emergency stop feature that forces the drone to softly land in case anything goes wrong; you simply press the speed button and hold.
It also features 3 different speeds and headless mode along with an altitude-hold feature. It flies with a 6-axis gyro for stability but does not include a built-in camera. It can fly for up to 10 minutes per charge and go as far as 45 meters away from the transmitter.
- The propellers come with guards that prevent damage resulting from accidental crashes and collisions
- The ultra-responsive motor built-into this Tozo model makes it a little more challenging for beginners to control the drone during take-off and landing
Weighing only 0.16 ounces makes the Syma X20 mini the lightest on the list. It has LED lights for night visibility and flies with a 6-axis gyro for stability. Like other drones, for a simpler flight experience, the X20 features headless mode and altitude-hold as well as 2 different speeds.
It also features a one-key take-off and landing feature in addition to being able to flip 360-degrees with a push of a button. It can only fly for 5 minutes per charge but can be charged through a computer through its built-in USB port.
- Can be charged through a computer through its USB port making it more accessible
- The X20 has a rather small flight radius at only 20 meters away from its transmitter
The Potensic model would make a perfect first drone for your kids if they intend to mainly fly it indoors so they don’t face the chance of losing it outdoors, however, another model, the Hasakee K5, can be more suitable for more experienced or curious pilots. The Rabing model, however, can offer a more engaging experience for your kid by connecting it to a VR headset.